back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Rear Lights Out  (Read 104 times)

september2018

• An AMGBA Club Member
Rear Lights Out
« on: August 22, 2018, 08:22:37 PM »
I have a question for my '73 B. Last night I took a spirited drive and on the way home lost all rear lights. My brake lights still work, but license plate and tail lights are dead. Head lights and fog lights work fine, same with turn signals front and rear. I have voltage at the fuse that controls the rear light circuit, but no voltage at tail light/license plate lights (red wires in boot). Bulbs are all good, connections are all clean and grounds are all good.

Iím trying to find the harness in the cabin where it runs into the boot. It runs over the RR wheel arch and then I lose it. My expertise is in Triumph so of course the first place I checked is in the foot wells as TRs wiring runs down the drivers side into the boot. Not the case with my MG.

Also with Triumphs there is a master plug that attaches front and back harnesses. Is there one in the B? I know I had tail light about 3 miles from home on the way back and didnít realize they were out until I was informed about half a mile from home. All very nice roads with few bumps. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Tom Macken
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by amgba »

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Rear Lights Out
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 08:28:56 PM »
Wiring to the rear of the car starts under the hood (bonnet) on the right side. Then down under the car. It has been my experience that where the wiring turns to go under the floorboard right side at the bottom of the firewall, this bunch of wires will rub the insulation off of the wires causing a mystery short.
Van Moore

American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

†† back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog