back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: removing a wire wheel  (Read 166 times)

september2018

• An AMGBA Club Member
removing a wire wheel
« on: September 27, 2018, 05:29:00 PM »
The rear wheels slide off their splined hubs easily; those at the front don't.

Do you have any thoughts or ideas re: how I might temporarily modify a puller so that it will work without damaging the wires, or do you have other ideas?  I'm certain that others have had to deal with this problem.

Thank you

BTW, where do I set up a username?

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: removing a wire wheel
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 04:20:50 PM »
To choose your own login, logout of the one we gave your and sign up for a new account.

Suggest posting in our Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/americanmgbassociation but see below answer.

Frank
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by amgba »
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

amgba

• AMGBA Club Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »
Having had an MGB with balky wheels, I found the best bet was to clean the splines on the wheels and hubs both. I used a wire wheel in my drill motor, and light lubrication afterward. It helped if I kept the splines lightly lubed. No build up of grease to trap dust, dirt, and sand. Normal rotation of the tires, and inspection of the splines at that time, should be sufficient intervals for checking the splines, or once a year at the least.

Scott Stuchell
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

september2018

• An AMGBA Club Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 07:44:15 PM »
Yes, but I need to get them off first.

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog