back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Replacing Steering Rack  (Read 4152 times)

december2014

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Replacing Steering Rack
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:47:09 PM »
Recently, I replaced the steering rack in my 1979 MGB roadster.  I purchased a new unit from British Victoria at a cost of $199.95.
After years of procrastination, it was will worth it!  The steering now feels firm and solid, after all the original unit had 200,000 miles and 35 years on it.

After doing this, I thought of articles I had read about filling the boots or gaiters with lubricant (oil).

An example can be found in Technical Sections Volume III, page 286 where the author states he added oil to the tire rack but "not wanting to make the new boots fill and explode". (editor's note:  The Tech Sections Volume I, II and III available from the AMGBA Store on the website at www.mgclub.org/mgreg.htm )

If the seals are tight on the inner ends of the tie rods, oil should not be getting into the boots; the boots are to keep oil out, not to keep oil in!

Is there misinformation about the purpose of the boots (or gaiters)?

William Lane
Groveland, California

More tech info and questions and answers on our website at www.mgclub.org.mgtech.htm or on our message board at http://board.amgba.com

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Replacing Steering Rack
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 12:40:20 AM »
Boots are to keep dirt out, so it doesn't collect on the rack shaft as it slides back and forth when turning, and destroy the seals holding the lubricant in the rack and pinion housing. They should be dry when fitted. Any signs of lubricant at the boot clamps, should be investigated. Lubricant at the boot ends usually means the seals in the rack assembly have failed. It's a good practice however, when lubing the front end, to use a good quality Silicon spray, that leaves very little residue, to clean the outside of the boots, and keep them pliable. they will last longer, and not dry rot on you!!

Jeff Walker
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog