back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Removal of Octagon Knock-offs  (Read 2186 times)

rotts4evr

• AMGBA Club Member
Removal of Octagon Knock-offs
« on: September 20, 2015, 11:12:58 AM »
Greetings,

I cannot remove the knockoffs from my 74 MGB. I have tried Heat, the small wrench and a hammer, the large wrench and a hammer, liquid wrench for a month of constant soaking, nothing works. I am trying to remove in the right direction. What's next?? Cutting them off?? I need help on this one please.

Thanks,

Keith

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Removal of Octagon Knock-offs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 01:51:07 PM »
No easy solution other that to soak with WD-40 for a few hours and try again.

Frank
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Removal of Octagon Knock-offs
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 07:30:23 PM »
Hi Keith,

All else fails, and I mean all, try using a cut-off wheel or Dremel tool to slot the center of the knock-off to fit the blade of an impact driver.

Slotting the center, you avoid damaging the threads on your hubs and wheels.  Just set the driver to the direction needed for the side you are working on, fit the heaviest flat blade driver tip into the slot you create and hit with a heavy hammer (aka BFH).

Ruins the knock-offs, but should loosen it up and allow you to remove with the original wrench without damaging the hubs or wheels. When you replace them, clean the threads and use some neva-sieze to prevent this from happening again.

BTW, as mentioned, the knock-offs tighten and loosen in different directions depnding in the side of the car they are on, which I'm sure you are aware of.  However, the hubs will fit on the wrong sides. Very dangerous, as the wheels can loosen-up while driving.  If someone put them on reversed and tightened them to the point they are siezed because they loosened so much, that might explain the issue.  Probably not the case, but did you check that?

Hope that helps.  Let us know what you find out.

Safety Fast!

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog