back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: White Exhaust and Compression  (Read 1970 times)

september2015

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
White Exhaust and Compression
« on: October 10, 2015, 01:13:29 PM »
I have a question, and maybe some of you might weigh in with ideas. Three years ago, I had the head gasket replaced on my '75 B. It had been exhausting white smoke, and the new gasket alleviated the problem. I drove it all summer, then put it to rest for the winter. In the spring, two year ago, it spewed white smoke when I first started it. My husband and I retorqued the head according to specs, and again it alleviated my problem. I have driven it several times this spring with no issue, but this morning when I started it, it belched white smoke.

We didn't have a chance to check the looks of the oil (for antifreeze) but will do that soon. The car has about 3000 miles since the head gasket replacement. It otherwise starts and runs very well. Uses some oil ... or leaks it, not sure. Doesn't normally smoke from exhaust. Any ideas what the cause of the white smoke might be or what to try? Thanks in advance.

Robin Bond Rudolph

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: White Exhaust and Compression
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
If you suspect the head gasket again, pull all the spark plugs, pressurize the cooling system to the max. specs, then wait 15 minutes. With plugs still removed, crank the engine over and watch for anti-freeze out of the plug holes. If nothing blows out, and plugs look clean, probably just moisture. While you're at it, run a compression check on each cylinder ... always let's you know how the engine is doing!

Jeff Walker
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog