back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Valve Adjustment  (Read 1490 times)

december2015

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Valve Adjustment
« on: January 13, 2016, 01:47:12 PM »
I'm thinking I might be just a bit off with the new valves on my MGB. When a hobby becomes less fun, and more ....oh lets call it volatile, it's time to get professional help. I found a therapist close to work, I have an appointment.  Any help with my MGB valves will be appreciated.

Jeff Carpenter

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Valve Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 01:48:16 PM »
If the Intake valves are open at wrong time blowing fuel out the carbs can occur. Make sure #1 wire is pointing to #1 at TDC not at #4. Someone said it could be incorrect firing order which makes sense. You adjusted valves by the book..correct? Could be other things throwing the timing off..shorted plug wires, shorted cap. Older B's have a starter button on the side to rotate the crank .making it easy. Not sure on newer B's. Pull the valve cover off and watch as you rotate the crank either by hand or with a starter switch. Valves and springs should not bind any (easier with spark plugs out). Crank should rotate pretty smoothly..compression will give resistance of course..Try these out.

Neil Isglett
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:56:03 PM by amgba »
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog