back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Intermittent starting delay  (Read 5751 times)

bobjones

• AMGBA Club Member
Intermittent starting delay
« on: September 20, 2006, 12:13:58 PM »
When i start my 73 MGB cold, it starts right up. after it is all warmed up and i drive to the store, shut it off for say 10 min, then when i try to start it up again it just turnsover and it will not start. i am convinced that it is some sort of electrical issue rather then a carb issue. i know this because as soon as i let off the ignition switch from cranking the moter starts. as if it is catching at the very last step. after the car sits for a long while off, it starts up just fine. any ideas?

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Intermittent starting delay
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 12:17:07 PM »
I would start by checking the usual suspects - points, coil, wiring, plugs and even the ignition switch itself (though this last item is much less likely). While I always like to leave the carbs for last, on a 73, the HIF4 carbs have a thermal auto-setting for the jet heights. The fact that it works when cooler could be that the setting is off. The bi-metal unit (Victoria British P/N 3-8139) works like an thermostat and can eventually wear out, but I would first check the other more obvious things before fiddling with that especially since you say the engine catches at the end.

I hope that helps you. Good luck.

Art

(copied from old message board at the request of Art Isaacs)
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog