back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Trunk Access  (Read 410 times)

march2017

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Trunk Access
« on: January 31, 2017, 11:07:03 PM »
I cannot get in to the trunk (boot) of my '77 MGB.. The lock is fine but I when I turn the key in the lock I am assuming that little clip that screws onto the back of the lock must have loosened and and doesn’t turn. Any ideas outside of destroying the metal around the the truck lock how I can get the mechanism out and open the trunk?

Dennis G Lex
Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Trunk Access
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:08:51 PM »
The consensus seems to be to just to drill through the lock on the plunger and use a piece of metal to open the trunk so you don't damage the lid itself.

Before that, you might try removing a back-up light and to see if you can grab the lock mechanism from there.  That might work, especially if you have or can borrow one of those cameras used to see remote, tight spots.  They run starting at about $60 from Harbor Freight and others.  I'd also suggest a couple of layers of painter's (blue) tape to prevent scratches around the backup lamp hole.

I've had some say to drill a 1/8" hole just below the plunger on the lock bezel and use a stiff wire (like a coat hanger) and try to push the lock mechanism to open.  The lock is still toast, but if it works, less chance of damage versus trying to drill the entire plunger out.

I hope that helps you.  Let me know what you do that works.  

Safety Fast!
Art Isaacs
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog