back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Engine Replacement  (Read 1356 times)

march2017

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Engine Replacement
« on: January 31, 2017, 10:59:12 PM »
I'm hoping you or another member can help.

I recently bought an 18GH engine to replace my worn out 18V in my '78 MGB. The problem is we can't seem to get the drivers side engine mount to fit correctly. We have both the old style and new style mounts, but neither lines up to both the block and the frame. Is there any modification or kit we can get to accomplish this?

Please let me know as I would like to get back on the road.

Brian Turner
Beachwood,New Jersey

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Engine Replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:04:26 PM »
The 18V and 18GH engines are certainly interchangeably replaceable as compete units, but there are differences in the engines and bodies. 

While it is said the B was unchanged for it's entire run, the rubber bumper body looks the same, but was heavily altered to meet later crash standards and there are differences that make the swap a bit more than removing one and sliding the other into place.

In your case, the major difference you see is in those minor differences in the body sheet metal and require that you swap the front engine plate with your old engine's to assure the mounts line-up and to use the later motor mounts.
In addition to changing the front engine plate and mounts, you may also encounter some interference between the left front motor mount and the bulge of the oil gallery that runs just inside the engine block in that area. So you may have to use a grinder or some judicial use of a BFM (mallet as opposed to a hammer) with a block of wood to move (or remove) the sheet metal flanges and panel enough give you the clearance for it to fit.  You should be able to do this without doing damage to the car. 

I hope that helps you.  Take photos to share and let me know what you find when you get into it.

Safety Fast!
Art Isaacs
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog