back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Collar and Hub Wear  (Read 112 times)

september2017

• An AMGBA Club Member
Collar and Hub Wear
« on: August 15, 2017, 09:47:48 PM »
Q:   John Twist - Congratulations on your retirement. I want to thank you for your informative videos. I purchased my 1977 MGB a year ago. I live in Madison, Mississippi. Their is only a handful of MGB's in this area. I really can't find any shops here that work on them. Can you please take a look at the pictures and let me know if this is normal wear on the collar and hub? The oil seal was leaking and upon taking it apart, I found some wear on the parts. Thanks again and have a great day.

Jeffrey Deris
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by september2017 »

JohnTwist

• AMGBA Club Tech Staff
    • University Motors
Re: Collar and Hub Wear
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:03:39 PM »
A:   The wear on the collar is normal -- that is, where it meets the rear hub oil seal.  You can polish the collar with very fine sandpaper or cloth.  Be sure to lubricate the new seal with a lot of grease when reassembling.  Otherwise it will run dry for a while. 
The wear you're concerned about on the tapered section of the cone and on the inner hub are of zero concern.  These two surfaces aremated very tightly when that rear 1 5/16" nut is tight.  Nothing turns or wobbles on those surfaces. 
Hope this helps!
John Twist
SAFETY FAST!
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

Office:  616-855-1684
Cell:  616-307-6737

johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com