back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Turn Signal Cancellation  (Read 106 times)

december2017

• An AMGBA Club Member
Turn Signal Cancellation
« on: December 19, 2017, 05:47:25 PM »
My turn signal cancellation isn't working and mechanic #1 says there's a part missing that connects the (aftermarket wood) steering wheel to a plastic piece that cancels the blinker. In other words, he contends that the steering wheel mechanically causes the blinker to cancel via a piece attached to it.

But mechanic #2 says that the steering has nothing to do with cancelling the blinker. He recommends I remove the steering wheel then take off the clamshell plastic shroud and that is where the problem will be seen. He says (contrary to mechanic #1) there is no "piece" that connects the steering wheel to another part that cancels the blinker.

Clear as mud? Sorry if I'm making it confusing. I have photos.  I have since sorted this matter out.

Bruce
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:07:27 PM by amgba »

JohnTwist

• AMGBA Club Tech Staff
    • University Motors
Re: Turn Signal Cancellation
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 06:03:49 PM »
My turn signal cancellation isn't working and mechanic #1 says there's a part missing that connects the (aftermarket wood) steering wheel to a plastic piece that cancels the blinker. In other words, he contends that the steering wheel mechanically causes the blinker
to cancel via a piece attached to it.

But mechanic #2 says that the steering has nothing to do with cancelling the blinker. He recommends I remove the steering wheel then take off the clamshell plastic shroud and that is where the problem will be seen. He says (contrary to mechanic #1) there is no "piece" that connects the steering wheel to another part that cancels the blinker.

Clear as mud? Sorry if I'm making it confusing. I have photos.  I have since sorted this matter out.

Bruce
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

Office:  616-855-1684
Cell:  616-307-6737

johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Turn Signal Cancellation
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 09:28:54 AM »
Hi Bruce,

I don't know if you got John's response, but it is not showing on the board.  Having taken the steering wheel off (by the way, nice choice of wheel), you can see Mechanic 2 was giving you better direction.

The return mechanism is a cam under the clamshell covers and not part of the wheel itself. 
I have attached a photo that shows the cam on the column with an arrow pointing to it.  I also have a loose column waiting to be installed in my car (a winter project) which I can send you a better photo of if you want it. 

Chances are it is probably one of (2) reasons for your trouble.  Either one or both of the plastic cancelling tabs on the signal light switch are broken off or, from being out-of-place during alignment, the cam on the steering column is so displaced that it could be a half-turn out from actuating the return, so doesn't work unless you fully rotate the wheel.  And then at an odd point in operation.

Repair for the first is either to replace the tab assembly (available only for some model switches) or replacing the entire switch.  Any catalog has the full switch available, but I don't see the repair part anymore. Also, I'm sure one of your club buddies may have one used on a shelf somewhere.

For the second issue, it's a bit trickier. You need to align the steering wheel with the cam on the shaft so it is at the neutral position relative to the top of the wheel.  Then go to your alignment shop and have them realign the front end so the wheel is straight and the cam in the proper position.

I hope that helps you. 

Safety Fast!
Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog