back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Charcoal Cannister  (Read 462 times)

december2017

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Charcoal Cannister
« on: December 19, 2017, 05:54:15 PM »
I greatly appreciate your YouTube tech posts. I have a question about what is the best type of screen and foam to use when replacing the ones in the charcoal canister.

I am also looking for the hoses to that as well as the ones on the air pump. Are there any good detailed diagrams of how these hoses were installed from the factory.

Thank You for your help.

Mark Van Etten
Livingston Manor, New York

JohnTwist

• AMGBA Club Tech Staff
    • University Motors
Re: Charcoal Cannister
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 06:02:33 PM »
Hardware cloth – something like ¼” square will work for the screen.  Use “air conditioner foam” which you can also buy at the hardware store, open cell thin stuff.  You can “activate” the charcoal by heating it up with your propane torch – outside the house – until the vapors cease to burn off.

If the hoses are not available from Moss or Victoria, use Gates green hose

Now back to the hardware store…..  Purchase an expansion spring (s) that’s the same diameter as the hose.  Hold one end of the spring in the vise and pull the other to permanently stretch the spring.  As the spring extends, the diameter of the coils will reduce.  Clip off what you need and insert it into the hose – sometimes a little grease or oil will help.  Now you can tie the hose into a pretzel, if you wish, and it will never kink!  Of course, it won’t have the nice fitted form of the original, but it will look pretty good and do the job.

I’m guessing that under bonnet pictures are available on the internet.  If not, get back in touch with your year and model and I’ll see if I can come up with something for you.

SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

Office:  616-855-1684
Cell:  616-307-6737

johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog