back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: MGB Stored for More Than 20 Years  (Read 258 times)

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
MGB Stored for More Than 20 Years
« on: May 06, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »
I have in my garage, a 1974 Sabrina MGB that was parked in 1994, and there it has sat. All that gasoline, oil, fluids and such, just sitting there for the past 23 years. I believe there may be some issues

What do you think about the gas tank and the metal brake lines, not to mention everything else. Oh, one more thing. I am going to de-smog most of the engine, I’ll have the heads machined, match the ignition and re-jet the carbs to match. Should I stay with the HIF’s or move to HS4’s, in other words, would that be money well spent or fuelish.

The MG straddles a 1907 era service pit that is part of our garage.

Enjoy your website very much. I’m sure a jolly time awaits.

Ron Nugent
Pasadena, California
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 06:45:33 PM by JohnTwist »
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

JohnTwist

• AMGBA Club Tech Staff
    • University Motors
Re: MGB Stored for More Than 20 Years
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 06:46:18 PM »
After such a sleep, you’ll want to attend to a great number of mechanical items on your MGB.  As an aside, the true 1974 ˝ models have the full rubber bumpers.  The MGBs with the Sabrinas (or Dolly Parton overriders as I usually call them) are the mid-production style.  http://www.goon.org/usgoons/sabrina/

Find the “Complete Lubrication” on my website and follow it thoroughly.  Change ALL the rubber lines, fuel, cooling, and brake.  Change the tank only if you detect rust (just peer into the tank once the filler neck is moved out of the way.  The steel brake lines are usually OK, but you can literally stand on the brakes to try to find weak (leak) points.  Better in your shop than on the road!  Leave the charcoal canister in place – that’s a passive system that takes no energy and allows the anti run-on circuit to operate.

SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist.
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

Office:  616-855-1684
Cell:  616-307-6737

johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog