back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: engine questions  (Read 107 times)

september2018

• An AMGBA Club Member
engine questions
« on: September 18, 2018, 05:29:08 PM »
My '70 B has had the engine replaced.  It's a 18V584Z-L15338.  From what I could find, it was mfrd in 1972 and is indicated to be a non-overdrive model.  What's the difference between a non-OD vs. an OD model engine?

My parts car, a '79 B also has had the engine replaced. It's a 18GH-WE-H 32861.  Mfrd in 1969?  The question - Is this a five bearing crank engine?  Since the 18V engine is in pieces and needs machine shop work, I am planning to use the 18GH engine in the '70 B, hence the question.

Thanks

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: engine questions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 01:36:33 PM »
Use the GH engine as it a high compression engine and will perform better than your 18v L comp engine. They are both 5 bearing.

The engines were stamped from factory if they were mated to an OD or Non-OD drive train. (Along with gear shift type). But other than that yes the engines are not modified for an OD.

George Hrisovergi
from Facebook Group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/americanmgbassociation/

American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog