back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: MGB Cylinder Head Identification  (Read 9208 times)

december2006

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
MGB Cylinder Head Identification
« on: November 02, 2006, 10:11:00 PM »
Is there a way to tell a low compression Head from a High while on the car. I expect the head on my 68 is cracked as I lose coolant when driving at interstate speeds, especially on warmer days. I am quite certain it is exiting through the overflow. I have a 1977 parts car from which I would like to use the head. I know that a 1977 head should have connection for a water choke, but cannot find any so expect the head is a replacement. The car has a weber Carb and the tap for the choke comes from a tee in the top radiator hose and goes into the heater. Both heads on both cars appear identical with a cast in number 18 and the letter "L" on the rear horizontal surface.
My 1968 engine is lettered with an H indicating the higher compression ratio, and I want to be sure I replace it with another High Compression Head.
If necessary, and I choose to plane the replacement head, to what thickness would I go to get a compression ratio of around 8.8 to 9.0.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
John

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: MGB Cylinder Head Identification
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 10:12:17 PM »
Posted by Art Isaacs (219.136.1.125) on June 12, 2006 at 19:55:45:

In Reply to: MGB Cylinder Head Identification posted by John Motycka on June 09, 2006 at 12:26:34:

Hi John,

MGB cylinder heads are pretty much interchangeable and fall into (2) types - early and late. The early 62-67 head is a plain casting with no outlets for pollution controls. The external differences on the later engines is broken down to 68-74, which has tapped holes for the AIR rail above the spark plugs, and 75-80, having the AIR holes, a water choke adapter and use a unique rear rocker pedistal, which you would have to take the valve cover off to see. Beyond this, the head would have to be removed to really determine the exact year.

Engine compression is more determined more by the piston/rod combinations. The later engines have the lowest compression ratio (about 8.0:1) to cope with the fuel and pollution control requirements.

Moss and others offer only (2) OEM style versions of very early (62-67 18G & GA engines)and very late (75 up 18V engines), as well as a stock and cross-flow design aluminum head. The minor differences in valve types and and other internals would be near impossible to tell with the head on the engine.

I hope that helps you.

Art
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog