back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Rear axle removal  (Read 6288 times)

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Rear axle removal
« on: September 08, 2007, 01:14:41 AM »
I am restoring my 73 GT and want to put all new bearings in the rear. That's where I'm stuck. Mine has the pressed-in ball bearings on the end of the axle and housing. How can I withdraw the axle. The haynes manual says I need a special tool, where do I get such a tool? My first time with ball-bearing bearings.
Mirish
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

amgba

• AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Rear axle removal
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 01:16:42 AM »
I do not have my Haynes manual here, but the tool I'm sure they are referring to is a variation of a slide hammer with a 3-point puller. Either one that attaches to the lug nuts or grips the outer edge of the hub flange.

The bearing itself is in a housing with 4 bolts holding it to the axle housing. The hole in the flange gives you access to them. The other (inside) end of the axle shaft is an interference fit to the differential and needs to be coaxed out. Best way is to remove the bolts and put the jaws of the puller attached to the hub and knock back on the slide hammer until it releases. It should then just pull out. The housing need not come out of the car. The brakes will have to be disassembled, but the backing plates and wheel cylinders can stay, but will hang from the line unless you put a bolt back into the housing after the axle shaft is out.

I would strongly suggest you use a machine shop to replace the bearings. The hub has to be pulled from the axle shaft, which often invloves heat and a serious puller or press to accomplish this without damaging anything or hurting yourself. Similarly the bearing itself, which may require heat, the press and sometimes grinding to remove and slight heat (not from a flame!), a press and a correct fitting to push the bearing (on the inner race only) to install and seat properly. The housing and seal are easy to service, once the hub is off.

Reinstallation is easy; just slide the shaft into the housing and tap with a soft-face hammer (dead-blow type or equivalent light sledge on a wood block) until seated and tighten the bearing housing back into place. Reassemble the brakes and change the differential oil.

I hope that helps you. Good luck.

Art Isaacs
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog