back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Starting Clicking Noise  (Read 5421 times)

october2008

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Starting Clicking Noise
« on: September 08, 2008, 02:02:15 AM »
I have a problem that has just started, the car (1970 MGB) will turn over and start, but sometimes it will click once or twice when the ignition is engaged.  It will always start if it is not run for a week or two, but it may click even if the car has run that day.  This has just happened in the last month. What do you think?

Thank you
Brian Bebelman
92-10868

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Starting Clicking Noise
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 02:12:24 AM »
Likely causes of your probem are a bad connection to the battery or starter or dirt/wear/corrosion on the starter armature causing resistance or a dead spot.

Checking the connections is less involved and cheaper, so do that first.  Just check that they all tight and free of corrosion at the battery, starter and solenoid.

Armature work means removing the starter and probably having it rebuilt.

I hope that helps you.

Art
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

Dan K.

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Re: Starting Clicking Noise
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 09:27:44 PM »
Hi Art,

I was just reading the Dec. '08 Octagon and saw your response to Brian Bebelman about his starting problem with his '70 B. I just went through a similar problem. Actually it sounds like the same problem because of the single click he's hearing. I first tackled all the connections and found that my engine ground strap was loose so I cleaned and reinstalled it. I even added a second strap on the adjacent bolts. The starter spinned faster so I thought I found the problem but then it happened again. I was doing some reading and discovered that my (74) car has a starter relay which I was not aware of. My '70 GT has the same one. By taking the large brown wire at C1 and the large brown and white wire at C2 off the relay and touching them together, the starter should spin if the ignition key is on. If the starter spins then it indicates the relay is not functioning. I pulled the relay out of my '70 and used it and sure enough the problem was solved.

The relay seems to fail slowly. First, only when the engine is warm. This makes you assume that it is the starter's armature as you suggested. Eventually, it happens hot or cold and then will still work intermittently.
Regards,
-Dan

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog