back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: charcoal cannister  (Read 5514 times)

december06

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
charcoal cannister
« on: November 17, 2006, 08:32:20 PM »
I recently purchased a 1977 MGB.  I am currently redoing the body and interior (almost done). The next step is the engine compartment. There is no airpump on this car. I would like to clean up the engine compartment. I will be doing some rewiring including the addition of a minifuse panel. My question is; Can I remove the charcoal canister and all its related tubing.? If so, how should I vent the gas tank? There is no emmissions in Conn. on cars that are over 25 years old.
I have not yet made up my mind, but I may also convert to a Camaro V6 5 spd.

august2007

Re: charcoal cannister
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 12:48:44 PM »
    There is no advantage in removing the charcoal cannister fuel vapor recycling system, if you plan to stay with the original engine. It not only allows fumes from the evaporating gasoline to be sent to the manifold to be burned but also relieves pressure in the  fuel tank in a controlled fashion. Stick with the original engine and have it rebuilt with an .030 or .040 over bore and a Weber 2 bbl downdraft carb and an early header. "Detox" i.e. remove all other  anti-pollution control items, including the cat and you will have plenty of clean, cool power and ecconomy and still have a "real" B. Go to The MG Experience web site for more info & good illustrations.
MGBTGB

august2007

Re: charcoal cannister
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 01:21:32 PM »
A chevy engine in an MG. ??? That's worse than a Chevy engine in a FORD.
If you are going GM, at least get a 215 cid Buick V8 and keep it in the British Leyland family.
MGB-TGB

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog