back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: starter will not turn over  (Read 4071 times)

Cris

• Message Board Member but not an AMGBA Club Member
starter will not turn over
« on: September 01, 2009, 05:51:31 PM »
I have a 76 MGB. How would I find out if the selinoid switch is bad and how do I go about changing it? Does the starter have to come out to change this??
Cris

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: starter will not turn over
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 03:37:10 PM »
The solenoid on all later cars is mounted to the bottom of the starter  there is not a lot of room with the unit in the car to do much to check or replace, but removal of the whole starter is not that involved.

Disconnect the battery, remove the weather cover (if equipped), photograph or otherwise mark and remove the wires from the solenoid and take out the (2) bolts that secure the starter to the bellhouse.  A trick is get a few longer extensions for your ratchet so with the socket on the bolt, the wrench itself is clear of the front of the starter.  You might also have to loosen the alternator and move it up so the starter can move forward clearly, but this is not always necessary.

Once out, you can bench test the starter and solenoid with a battery, jumper cables (or one of the emergency battery units with the cables included) and jumper cord or remote start switch to momentarily cross the ignition switch points and engage the solenoid.  A homemade jumper from a 14ga automotive wire also works, but better to have some sort of switch with this as well, like a doorbell switch in the line to do this.  Also, hold the starter in a vice.  There's plenty of torque when it engages, so it needs to be held securely.  The soleniod itself comes off the starter with a couple of screws and can be easily replaced for about $30 (it should be Victoria British part number 8-593 for your car, but it is available from most of the catalogs).  Before you buy anything, make sure what you have in the car.  As units, starters from various years will fit, but the interanl parts may differ.

If the starter itself is very old, you might want buy a complete new OEM type (about $220 as an outright buy) or get it rebuilt for about that cost.  Many NAPA or other auto parts shops still do rebuild them, but usually have to use yours as they do not keep a core unit in stock.

I hope this helps you.  Good luck.

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog