back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Tire rubbing  (Read 6698 times)

december2009

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Tire rubbing
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:55:52 AM »
I have a very interesting problem. I have a '73 MGB which had factory Rostyle wheels with 185-70 x14 tires. I decided to use the factory LE wheel instead with the same type of tire. Interesting that the tire on the left side has a slight rub when I hit a sharp bump. Of more interest, I discovered the distance from the wheel arch to the tire is different from the left side of the car to the right side. It seems that there is more room for larger tires on the right side. Strange. I have owned this car for 20 years and did not notice this until I decided to change wheels. I tried a set on 14 x 6 Panasports with 185 x 70 x 14 tires and they had lots of room on the right, but a rub on the left. It there any way I can correct this? I have put in new spring spacers and bushings. All spring parts are new.
I’m stumped.
Peter Dhama
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by amgba »

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Tire rubbing
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 11:59:49 AM »
While it is interesting that the one side should rub the tire, it is not as unusual as you think. That you can measure a notable difference from one side to the other on the bodywork should rule out a problem with the tires, wheels or axle as the primary issue, but they can be checked as well.

The fact is that these cars were assembled in a most arcane way when compared to today’s standards by “men with hammers”, meaning that many of the panels, though mass produced, were ultimately hand fit to the cars resulting in varying tolerances and build quality.
In addition, the difference in fit and clearance may well be due to rust or collision repairs to the rear quarter done sometime in the near 40 year life of the car. That a collision repair, while visually appearing correct, may be off or hide that the inner panel is still slightly bent or out of place is not unusual, even for modern cars. When combined with the wider rim (6" versus 4.5" for the Rostyle) and different offset of the Panasport wheels, this could be causing the problem more than anything else.

The choices are to try to gently get clearance on the inner fender of the side that rubs by hammering the metal outward or finding slightly narrower or less offset wheels of a size that do not rub. Look at 5" or 5.5" versions of wheels similar to those you have or other styles, including the later LE alloys made for the B.

The thing to check on the car is if the rub is to the outside or inside of the fender. An outside rub may well be a result of repair from a minor bang to the quarter and would be actually harder to fix as it means creating clearance near the visible outer quarter panel metal (and possibly bondo). If the rub is inside, the clearance is created moving the wheelwell metal into the trunk and is less dangerous to create or noticeable when done.

I hope this helps, though I wish I could offer you a more concrete answer. Keep me posted and let me know what you find out. Good luck.

Art Isaacs
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

december2009

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 02:49:27 PM »
Thank you for your comments Art. I bought the car from the original owner with 9k on it. It had original paint therefore I am somewhat sure the body had not been altered. When I had the car painted last year it was stripped to the metal, with no evidence on the entire car of any body work. I think you absolutely right about the build quality. The rub is fender well lip, it just catches and only some time. I have been told I should move the axle over ? Really!!! Anyway perhaps I might have our body shop just tap up the inside lip or go back to the original wheels. I need to get this done because the car will have a fair bit of weight in it because of my planned three week route 66 trip this Sept.
Cheers,
Peter

markhertz

• Message Board Member but not an AMGBA Club Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 02:51:08 PM »
Hi Peter,

Moving the axle would be just a bit extreme.

If it's just catching the inside of the fender lip, that's pretty common on these cars and it can be easily trimmed from inside with a grinder and touched-up to prevent rust.

Sounds like you've got it.

Enjoy the trip and chronical it with pictures to share.

Cheers,

Art

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog