back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Fuel  (Read 3538 times)

september2010

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Fuel
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:50:25 PM »
Please help me out with this.  I have a 1980 MGB and it has been not been driven now for 15 years.  We are now thinking about  getting it back on the road and getting back to the car shows that we had previously done to.

I am wondering about what to do with the gas that is in the car before we do anything else.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

Ed & Flo
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by amgba »

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Fuel
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 02:52:29 PM »
Hi Ed and Flo,

1980 cars had more closed fuel systems because of the catalytic converter, so if the tank was near full and the gas cap on tight, with the car sitting even a couple of years, the gas should still be good.

Longer than that, I would advise draining the tank.  Some tanks had drain plugs, but most did not.  

Running the pump with the line disconnected from the carb is slow, could damage the pump and does not completely drain the tank.  The best way then is to either remove the fuel pick-up/level sender on the near side of the tank and drain the fuel out or drop the tank and remove entirely to pour the gas out.

Chances are the gas is still good if only a year or two sitting.   I am away, but can write you with a more detailed method to drop the tank yourself once home, but you might just have to have a shop do this and clean the tank as well.  

I hope that helps you.

Best regards,

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog