back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Tires on Wire Wheel Rims  (Read 7242 times)

june2012

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Tires on Wire Wheel Rims
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »
Art: How are you? I am the guy from New Jersey who is putting wires on his '72 B and needs a question answered.  I am going to take the plunge and order Dayton wires (currently six weeks for delivery). Before I do, will my 165SR14 tires accept a tube type wire rim? They sell tubeless rims but I am told tubes are better. I know little about wire wheels and have heard they "Chaff" or rub inside the radial tire.  I have stock Rostyle wheels currently. I purchased a good '70 B rear wire axle and am ordering the stuff so I need your expertise on this.  Thanks again.

Bob Tresch
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by amgba »

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Tires on Wire Wheel Rims
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 11:33:56 AM »
Hi Robert,

Basically, tightening them is hitting them hard in the right direction with a specialized soft brass-head BFH.  The soft brass hammer is available from any of the major catalogs, but it can cause damage to the chrome finish and knocks-offs themselves.

I wanted to avoid this typical damage to the knock-offs that occurs after repeated tightening.

There are all sorts of tricks, like buying a custom wooden tool (also available from most catalogs) or wrapping either the hammer head or the knock-off tip with a rag, but I went with another tool.  I got a fairly heavy "dead blow" hammer.  This is a mallet like hammer that is of cast thick plastic filled with lead shot and between the soft face and the slide-hammer like action of the lead shot works very well.  I still tend to wrap the knock-off end with a rag.

Just something I may have mentioned or may just be obvious when you are ordering:  There are right and left hubs and knockoffs.  Many people miss this or mix them up in installation.  The results can be dangerous, so please keep it in mind while working.

Also, remember to get the protector/liners or use tape for the wheels to make sure the tubes are not damaged by the wire tips inside the rims.

Also, you mentioned using the 165SR78-14 tires, which are only a bit larger than the originals, but still very narrow.  The MGB body can use up to a 185SR70-14 on the stock 4.5" wide rims (though they will fit, I'd better recommend using the wider 6" wheels with these) or you can go to  the MGC 6" wide 15" rims and use 185SR60-15 tire without modification.  Believe me, the additional width of the tire adds tremendously to the ride and handling.  

Glad to be of help.

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

june2012

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 11:39:54 AM »
Thanks Art. If it was not for AMGBA and you of course you, I would have gone for wheel adapters also.

I am going to order the radial tubes, bands and knock offs. New leaf springs, bushings and hardware to follow. I will forward pictures. What is the proper tightening procedure when mounting these beauties?  Thanks again!

Bob Tresch

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:41:18 AM »
Just to make a correction, it is the tubes that tend to chaff on the ends of the wires, not the radial tires themselves. The fix for that is rubber band like liner, sort of like you had on your bicycle wheels, or a heavy tape over the wire ends that does the same thing.

There are specific radial tubes that should be used as well, but beyond that, it's straight forward as any tube tire would be.

I would not recommend the tubeless arrangement, as I've not seen it work as well as the tubes do yet.

A reminder that the real trick is getting wheels balanced properly. Keep in mind the critical surfaces are the inside edge of the back of the center hub, not the wide flange, which is actually just a dust cover, and the outside edge of the front of the hub. Most shops will use a cone on the inside of the front of the hub and put the back flange against the machine face. Not accurate enough and could cause wobbles. Better to reverse the wheel with the outside face against the machine and the cone set to the back or inside of the hub.

I hope that helps you. Good luck and have fun.

Safety Fast!

Art

Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 03:28:16 PM »
Hi Robert,

Yes, your tires will work with tubes.  Are you ordering stock (14" diameter X 4.5" wide) style rims? 

A reminder that he B will fit up to 185's on the wider (14X6) rims without modification and the difference in ride and handling are worth the swap.

I hope that helps you.

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog