back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Slave Cylinder Question  (Read 4902 times)

december2006

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Slave Cylinder Question
« on: January 16, 2007, 12:56:03 AM »
The slave cylinder on my 1974 "B" has developed a bad leak and apparently needs to be either rebuilt or replaced. I'm opting for replacement and wonder if it is necessary and/or advisable to replace/rebuild the master cylinder at the same time. It does not appear to leak, but, as one repair manual puts it, I don't want it to go bad out of "sympathy" for the slave cylinder two weeks down the road. Thanks for the help.

Tim Beaton
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 02:24:17 AM by amgba »

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Slave Cylinder Question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 02:24:24 AM »
That is a definite yes. Both are better replaced than rebuilt and all the catalogs offer the outright purchase of them at reasonable prices.
Also do not forget to replace the flexible line to the slave cylinder as the rubber deteriorates and often blocks it or leaks after being disturbed. Good luck.
Art Isaacs
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog