back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Starting Problems when Hot  (Read 6249 times)

march2013

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Starting Problems when Hot
« on: March 02, 2013, 12:05:44 PM »
I need some advice on my 1974 MGB. Over the last year or so she starts up fine and drives normally for a while. When I park it and come back after an hour or two, I have a hard time starting the car and when I get it going and drive and accelerate the car bogs down, sputters and has very little power. If I press down on the gas pedal hard and quickly it will hesitate. It seems when the car gets hot this does this. A cold start and drive for a short time seems fine. Any advice?

Gary Rodgers

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Starting Problems when Hot
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 12:08:46 PM »
Take out your ignition rotor.  Destroy it and buy the red uprated one from Moss. The black ignition rotors of late have a rivet that causes a path to ground to the shaft when it gets warm. I had this exact same problem on my Bs. New red rotors fixed it for good.  It could be something else (no venting in fuel tank, etc).  But get a good baseline and get a good rotor. Check your plugs, cap, wires (or replace them, not overly expensive, if you haven't done them in a while).

Paul Seeberg
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
ph.: 773-769-7084
fax: 773-769-3240

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog